The Grünten is known as the Watcher of the Allgäu and is located south of Kempten, near the fringe of the Alps. During the Middle Ages the Grünten had already been climbed for the first time and a large deposit of iron ore was discovered. From the 15th to the 19th century many mining tunnels were dug. The iron ore production required large amounts of wood and the forest clearings on its slopes gave the Grünten ist name, since in the local dialect it simply means “bald head”.
More information about the different materials.
Elevation: 1738 m
Prominence: 611 m
Orometric dominance: 35
Coordinates: 47.554958, 10.320278